Tuesday, August 4, 2009

2. "Unconscious" the Protector

In life, there is a time when you look back and be astonished how you as a human are capable of figuring out how to survive without knowing that’s what you do. One way is to avoid facing detrimental factors in your life and put them away so that you can survive. We do this all at a very unconscious level. I view this as a testimony to intuition and the reason why the conclusions intuition draws usually are correct.

I left my birthplace to live in the US when I was 17. Back then not many young girls left home before getting married let alone to another country right after high school. I remember the excitement and focus I had on this adventure.

Throughout the years of my living in the US, people often commented how brave I must have been to leave my family and friends, and come live in a foreign country by myself at such a young age. Each time I heard the comment I thought to myself, “I don’t feel like I’m brave… I’m just having a greatest time of my life feeling reborn and free to be myself. Being brave doesn’t seem to have anything to do with my life here.“

People also used to ask why I came to US. For a long time I made myself and others believe that I came here to be exposed to a new culture and study abroad. After all, that’s what most foreign students did. It seemed like a very sound reason. I felt pretty good about that. But it wasn’t long before a vague irritation that whispered something unsettling began poking it's head at me. It seemed there was something unknown about my feeling toward my own background, and there might be a lie in the story I was telling. But it didn’t prompt me to explore to find out if there is anything to that irritation. I was choosing not to explore so I don’t have to find the answer. I chose to ignore the whisper and look away.

I loved where I lived as a foreign student, Berkeley, California, a well-known liberal college town where free thinkers of the time actively spoke up in public and did what they preached. I consider this town the adopted hometown of my heart to this day. Yes it was very obvious I loved it there, but there was something wrong. I was asked to visit my family back home from time to time, and it was difficult for me to be happy about it. I actually dreaded it each time. Why would I dread going home for just a few weeks when I knew I would head back to US after that? I still remember one year, tearing up on the airplane leaving to Haneda International Airport near Tokyo as it lifted off and I saw that my familiar San Francisco was getting further away down below. Why?

At times I tried to resign to the possibility that I was just one of those people Japanese society calls “a deserter”, who rather love a foreign culture than her own. At the same time I used to cringe and feel a bit of anger when I heard a Japanese phrase like "A-me-ri-ca Ka-bu-re". It’s a phrase used to describe someone who is blindly passionate about America, and it’s often tinted by disgust felt by people who called someone that. The disgust may come from the fact that America once dropped an atomic bomb on Japan which lead to horrific suffering of innocent people and Japan’s surrender, or the perception of how US oppresses less powerful nations, or it may just come from an objection to looking away from your roots. I’m not sure. I was also saddened as I heard other words of rejection by Japanese people directed toward someone like myself who left the country.

I was never directly told anything of that nature personally, but I felt very selfish and rejected for what I was doing all the same. I didn’t mean to disrespect my country and culture of origin let alone my family. Yet strangely there was this strong negative feeling deep inside me when it comes to how and where I grew up. And it entangled itself with those words of rejection by total strangers that had nothing to do with me and seemed to create a bigger hurt in me.

Years passed by, and a lot happened. After school I got married to a man from New Jersey and moved to a large city in southeastern part of US where his parents were running a business. I worked as graphic designer in a design studio and eventually had children. I had no doubt that I was living a very normal life then. But years later I realized that my life married to this man was another good evidence that I didn’t know myself very well back then.

Eventually we moved from southeast US to northwest. The marriage failed few years after the move across the country. I went through a very difficult divorce on my own and began a new life living as a single mother of two.

It was then that I slowly began to wonder more consciously about the real reason behind my leaving Japan at such an early stage of my life, because it was rather clear to me that I didn't want to go back to my hometown even as a single mother who had no family around.

My urge to know grew stronger by months, and eventually by days. Why do I feel sick to my stomach every time I think about going back? Why didn’t I try harder to teach my children Japanese? Why don’t I miss my parents, relatives, or friends? It seemed only person I missed was my younger sister. Am I such a cold person that I don’t care? Am I a horrible person?

But all that wondering ended recently. I had a revelation that clarified what actually happened, that shed lights on the reasons why I left Japan when I did.

It was not bravery, or disrespect to my culture and family, that propelled me to fly clear across the Pacific Ocean. It was a desperate attempt to preserve myself, and my chance for true happiness in life I only have once to live. It was my unconscious trying to save me from further harm.

14 comments:

  1. Yuko, that read like Jules Verne's 20,000 miles under the sea or the ocean in your blog's title. I have a similar experience. I left home at 18 to live for a year in Thornville, Ohio as an exchange student. It was perhaps the best year of my life. Indeed, it felt like being born again. I basically could choose again who I wanted to be. Somehow things had gone wrong at home and I was in constant conflict with my parents, my father mainly. And it wasn't just the age (16-19), it was nausea about norms and values, not just at home, but also in that particular part of the (smallest) country. I came to believe it was a 'sociosis'*, a neurosis developed by a community. Of course, my own wiring must have played a role as well. It was my main reason to study social psychology. I now believe it also has a lot to do with my belief, which I already twittered, that cultures and societies, across generations, dynamically (group)polarize** to (+) and from (-) their core values.

    * http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Hendrik_van_den_Berg
    ** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_polarization

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: our own wiring - As I try to examine the roll of my childhood environment played on my development, I do clearly notice that it didn't affect everyone in the same way. I consider myself extremely sensitive and receptive to certain area of human interaction I witness, and that's one of the subjects on future posts I'm preparing.

    I also feel it's time to look more into studying social psychology in it's formal form for what's been discussed and discovered so far, and collate with my understanding based on sporadic study on general psychology and my personal discoveries through observing behavior of people including myself. I owe this realization to you Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Delete and retry, link should work.)

    Yes Yuko you have an extremely sensitive antenna and a warm heart. (When I get a chance, I will forward/twitter that!) In fact, your picking up of the JK Wedding Entrance Dance guaranteed that for me and made me decide to follow you. These spontaneous transformations in culture and society are very significant and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RE:These spontaneous transformations in culture and society are very significant and meaningful.<--- I agree. And yes the link works. I can't get enough of that video, makes me feel so happy inside. LOL You, Ron, seem to have a very extraordinary sensory yourself, and that sensory is backed up by keen sense of reasoning. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wedding is so moving, I think, because it performs a miracle, of bringing together two traditions of society, friction between which normally leads to frustration and aggression: conservative and liberal traditions, holy matrimony and just wanting to have fun. That same kind of blockage is in our heads, torn to pieces by societies frictions and inability to perform the miracle of integration and thus progress. Will continue this line of thought in response to your, again beautiful, next article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuko-san,

    Thank you for sharing your life story. I know you a little better which makes me happy. I had to laugh when I read the part about people telling you that you are brave. I felt the same way, every time people tell me that I am, I felt like "ah...thanks, I guess". I didn't think it was such a big deal. As I wrote in my blog post "Spirited Away", I left Japan for 1 year as an exchange student. Later in my life I also came to the U.S. to study for Master's Degree, during which time I went to Zimbabwe to do an internship. I now know how my parents must have been worried while I couldn't contact them from there. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I can relate to many of the things you are writing (that's probably why you resontaed with my blog also). I look forward to reading more.

    Etsuko

    ReplyDelete
  8. this post is so heartfelt. i have felt the same way leaving my country to study in UK. i never felt a sense of dread returning on holiday because i always convince myself that things are great back home. my memories of my time in my country (Nigeria) are not fond at all. i always felt i did not belong. in fact i still feel as if i don't belong. i'll be returning to Nigeria now that i'm almost done with my degree. after been in the UK for 4 years and finally 'discovering myself', i find myself wondering if i will ever be truly happy in Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  9. eccentricyoruba,

    Welcome. I also often convinced myself that I was wrong for having those negative feelings about my home, for a very long time. I blamed myself for being so different. I am very grateful for my mother, for letting me go. I believe if parents really loved their children, they let their children choose how and where to live their lives. I would like to see you figure out what you need and want in life, so that you can lead a happy life. If I can be of your assistance in anyway, I would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yuko thank you so much for your offer. currently i'm just 'going with the flow'. i've decided to give my 'home' another chance to see if my experience there as an adult will be different from my experiences as a child. i left when i was 17 but most of my teenage years were sheltered as i was in boarding school. i also faced issues with me been different hence the 'eccentric'.

    i know i'll always have this attachment to my mother because i am basically all she last left as my sister passed away 4 years ago and my dad passed away more than 10 years ago. right now my plan is basically trail and error. i am willing to go anywhere as long as i can find my happiness there and i am sure my mother will support me when/if that time comes. thanks again! i'll take you up on you offer someday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. eccentricyoruba,

    I am very sorry about the loss you and your mother had to be faced with. That in itself must have brought out many complicated feelings within you, beside grief, to deal with. I am also excited to know that you are open to seeing your birthplace through more matured set of eyes. I sense some compassion in you toward where your home. Good luck with your trials, I feel you must be on the right track, wherever you end up heading toward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yuko, I too have left my family behind when I was young (not as young as you were...) and I am here in the US by myself (except my husband and kids and his families of course). I have always felt guilty about not being there, especially as my parents get older. Filial piety is a big thing in the Chinese society. Another big thing in the Chinese culture, gender bias subtly and not so subtly, ironically absolved me from that obligation: in their mind, I'm not "theirs" any more as soon as I got married. I now "belong" to my husband's family. It was not said in those words of course, but they are not able to put the guilt on me as much as they could have if I were a male child. I am the one that's burdening myself with this overwhelming sense of guilt, of not being there. I see this as the other side of the blade: I feel absolutely free over here. I am untethered. (Well, as untethered as a suburban working mother of two can get...) I get to reinvent myself because my history, all 5000 years of it, is not here to watch me, to pass judgment. Naturally, I behave very differently whenever I go "home": physically being there or figuratively being surrounded by my fellow countrymen/women. Sorry, this is getting long. I read all 6 of your posts together so now my mind is all jumbled up with thoughts... Anyway, please do keep on writing, and I will keep on reading... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Absence of Alternatives,

    My word, I identify with every single issues you have mentioned in your comment! You express yourself so eloquently, it makes me want to invite you to write a post as a guest for me... Nowadays I am starting to witness some defiance among married Japanese women, against being released of "duty" as a daughter to look after their parents, which correlate with the recent tendency to reject the idea that wives belong to the husband's family".

    Wizbird, one of my Twitter friends who also joined me on this blog said she was reminded of "Joy Luck Club" as she was reading one of my posts. Did you read the book or see the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched that movie (and also read the book) 15 years ago? Of course I cried. However, after I had the time to calm down (an hour or so?) I started thinking of the downside of the movie: Not all Asian men are evil as portrayed in the movie, not Asian women were oppressed and needed rescuing. But that was so long ago. In order to properly critiquing it, I need to watch it again. But I can't bear the crying fit again... Anyway, I assume you brought it up not to hear about me complaining about stereotypes. LOL. And wow, thank you for the kind words. That thought alone is compliment enough. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my article. Please feel free to join in and share your thoughts.